ME wanting help with a basic wireless communication system

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilnono

Automotive
Apr 18, 2013
US
Hey guys,

I'm developing a system that would have a large number of small dongles that would be able to switch between two settings, one with a range up to 50' and the other up to 200', they would illuminate a stationary LED sign when they get within range. The sign should also be able to tell which side the signal is coming from (only right of left). The dongle should be very portable, could easily be attached to a backpack, clothing or pet collar, hopefully low enough power to run on a coin battery or a couple AAA's at most. I'd like the LED sign and it's receiver to run on solar power.

I have a basic understanding of wireless communication, and I'm looking forward to learning more. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction as far as what the best system to use would be as well as a couple pointers. I'm thinking simple, easy and cheap. I've thought about using RF, maybe infrared like a remote control or maybe GPS through a phone app, though I think that would require a little more computing power in the sign than I'd like.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back