Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mean metal temperature during blowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilfully12

Petroleum
Jun 25, 2008
DK
Well not quite a blowdown:

Situation: I have a "reservoir of gas", actually a well of gas under pressure behind a choke. Those familiar with drilling it is the choke located after the choke line in a well intervention / kill situation.

After the choke the gas will flow to a mud/gas separator which operates at atmospheric conditions. I need to perform a calculation to see whether hydrate formation downstream of the choke is possible. Using a simple flash in Hysys, and a 50C upstream temp hydrate formation will occur - however this is effectively a blowdown and the pressure will reduce quickly.

The question is how do I account for metal mass at atmospheric temp (i.e. approx 20C) in the calculation. My feeling is to use the flash temp is too conservative. Any views?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The solution is velocity to keep hydrates washed away.

There isn't enough heat capacity in the steel in the system and heat transfer from the air is extremly little.

Morten
It is an oil well, scenario being that gas has settled out at the top of the well for some reason (maybe a kick etc). This gives a limited volume of gas - maybe 500ft in the casing is realistic.

What were your thoughts?

Well my thougts were that as soon as the liquid/gas mixture starts to fill the pipe then most of your worries would be over - because of the heat capacity in the liquid and the work generated when letting down the pressure for the liquid. So maybe a transient study of this is nescessary (or some rule of thumb exists - it is after all an "ancient" problem?.

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back