Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

meaning of bay 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The word "bay" is used to describe a closed or open cubicle where electrical equipment is placed. I guess that the ethymology is bay=harbour, protection, "where to put things".

There are small bays, containing a water filter or control gear and there are larger bays aka cubicles. These tend to be closed. There are open or closed bays for power distribution and motor starters etcetera, often called "panels". These are usually placed under a roof or inside a building. Then, there are open-air bays like those you see in a switchyard. There, you find transformer bays (often concrete cells to keep oil and debris from flying all over the place), breaker bays, incoming and outgoing bays where transmission lines "land" and "start".

I haven't found any narrow meaning of the word. It is used in many ways. I think sometimes even as a synonym to "booth".

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

In substation parlance it usually describes a circuit breaker with its associated disconnectors, earth switches, instrument transformers and protection equipment. A substation would thus be comprised of a number of such bays, connected by busbars.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

A bay can also be the bus and equipment between two breakers in a ring bus or breaker and a half (Other types can also apply).
A transformer bay, or line terminal bay, and capacitor bank bay.

I have heard it used the way Scotty described it

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back