Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Measure level in a 2 Litre Lab flow Reactor operating in CSTR mode; under pressure. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

plantprowler

Chemical
Aug 10, 2013
IN
We have a 2 Litre Lab reactor we wanted to convert to a CSTR trial. The reaction involved is Liquid Liquid and takes place at approx 130 C with 6 bars autogenous pressure. The reactor has in internal coil and a Rushton type stirrer magnetically coupled.

Two liquids are co-dosed by dosing pumps through top nozzles and the liquid is continuously withdrawn as well through a bottom nozzle.

What options do I have to maintain the level inside the reactor? Any ideas? Has anyone used a setup like this before?

Capacitive? dP gauge? Radar? What can work on a small sized reactor like this.

I am drawing a lot of dead ends looking this up.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@25352

Good idea. I hadn't thought of it. But I suppose that gets tricky because I have two liquids of different density? And then the density varies with Temperature. Though to be fair I don't need to be super accurate about levels. It's only a functional thing to keep the reactor ops stable.

Another problem would be bubbling / frothing etc?

A couple thoughts on instrumentation that might help you sort your thoughts:

There are devices for aquariums that will top off the tank as the water level changes (e.g.
There are also ultrasonic drum level gauges (battery powered usually), you may have to call a vendor (e.g. Cole-Palmer) to see if they have something small enough for a 2L lab scale reactor nozzle.

Suggest you contact a pilot plant company who does this sort of thing for a living. One suggestion would be but there may be others you can find with a little searching. Otherwise you will be playing with things and learning instead of getting the results you need quickly and efficiently.

The simplest form of level control is a weir, where fluid overflows the weir when level rises. The weir can be inside or outside of your reactor, and can be as simple as a high point on the outlet piping. Just be careful not to create a siphon.

Change one of your injection pumps to the bottom outlet of the reactor. Make one of the top nozzles your outlet. Put a short tip tube down into the reactor. That will set the level in the CSTR. How are you keeping it at 6 bar. Back pressure regulator on the outlet flow? Are you adding a pad gas sweep?

Try it out with water or solvent if you can't tolerate getting your stuff wet.

Goodluck.

StoneCold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back