Status
Not open for further replies.

HilaryE

Bioengineer
Mar 13, 2014
PL
Dear All,

I hope that you are ok.

I need to measure the temperature of a steel product with an IR camera.
The capacity of the camera is -20degC-350degC.
I will keep the IR camera in a fixed position and will measure the steel product temperature.
I will have 2 variables in this test:
- The temperature of the steel product (+50degC and -5degC).
- Another variable will be the presence of a physical 'obstacle' between the IR camera and the steel product. That is in some tests I will put the physical 'obstacle' between the target (steel product) and the IR camera, and in other tests, there will be no such 'obstacle'. This 'obstacle' will be a sheet (4mm thick) of translucent acrylic material. In another time this 'obstacle' will be a sheet (4mm thick) of translucent nylon material.

Could you advise whether the waves emitted by the IR camera can penetrate the 4mm thick translucent acrylic or nylon sheet, and 'capture' temperature of the steel component.
Short wavelength infrared light perhaps?

Please help.
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You do realize that the infrared camera receives infrared and not transmits it, right?

+50C produces almost no SWIR to speak of.

For either material, you would only be able to measure something if you performed a calibration using a known infrared source through the material.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

@IRstuff
Thank you for your reply.
Indeed, my bad. Obviously, the IR camera receives radiations.
Thank you for your kind advice. It is an interesting idea.
According to my research findings though, I would need to buy a high-resolution indistrial IR camera (that could be focused on a very little area, considering the application/investigated process). Prices of such cameras are too high (a few thousand USD, minimum).
I will probably try another approach to capture temperature of the steel component.

Thank you IRstuff for sharing your idea.
Regards

@ IRstuff
I have decided to drop an idea of IR camera. A cheaper option would not work for my application. Thank you again for sharing your idea. I am grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back