Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Measure transient voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy2times

Electrical
Jun 26, 2007
AU
Can anyone recommend a (simple to use) power quality analyser or multimeter that can record the voltage drop on a power system during motor starting? I want to hire an instrument and measure voltage drop on the 220V single phase supply (on a ship) when a 3ph motor starts (the motor is higher up the distribution system).

The simple to use bit is the crucial bit as I want the ship's electrician to be able to use it and so it needs to be fairly easy for him to drive. I don't want a test instrument that needs 3 days of reading the manual before you find the button to turn it on!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used something from Extech, I think called a MultiScope, to study motor starting current with a current probe.

I can't find the exact model right now, and it's probably obsolete anyway. It was a multimeter with datalogging and graphing capability, and only a little harder to use than an ordinary multimeter.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back