Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Measurement of actual CO2 mass emitted from a diesel engine for gas emission monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEW

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2014
US
I was wondering if there is a method to measure the actual total mass of carbon dioxide (CO[sub]2[/sub]) emitted from a diesel engine used with a generator for power generation (Caterpillar 3512B). Infrared CO[sub]2[/sub] sensors, such as ENMET EX-6165 sensor, generally measure the gas concentration in parts-per-million (ppm), describing the amount of gas by volume of the air at a certain time and location, which is not what I am looking for in this application. Liquid flow sensors are already installed in the diesel fuel supply and return lines to determine the amount of diesel consumed, and hence the amount of carbon burned and CO[sub]2[/sub] created, but I am looking to correlate these measurements with actual measurements of CO[sub]2[/sub] mass produced at the output of the exhaust system.

The question can be formulated as how to measure the CO[SUB]2[/SUB] emission rate from the engine exhaust system. A typical solution in practice would be to find a dedicated gas flow sensor and a monitoring system that accomplishes that.

Any idea on how to approach this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You use a gas analyzer for the concentration and then use a selected flow.
Either from the intake mass flow sensor or from another flow device.
Or just do the math on the fuel supply.
The amount of C is the amount of C.
Unless a lot of it ends up as solid C and gets filtered it will all be CO2.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Why would you measure it?

Is it for safety? For engine performance or for environmental reasons?

If its the latter then you dont need to measure it. Base you emission rate on your diesel concumption. You can probably find an approved emission rate pr volume of diesel consumed or simply assume that its all carbon, and that the ration of _mass_ between carbon and CO2 is (12+16+16)/12=3.7 (same for any unit system)

Best regards, Morten

--- Best regards, Morten Andersen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back