Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Measurement of Lane Width/Pavement Markings

Status
Not open for further replies.

cieg22

Civil/Environmental
Nov 2, 2005
US
When you measure the width of lane, do you take it from the centerline of pavement markings? I'm having trouble determining what I should call the width of a shared-turn lane (delineated by a double-yellow line on each side). Also, what would be the appropriate reference to cite here? I can't find anything ins AASHTO or the MUTCD. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There probably isn't any standard, although I could be wrong. In my experience it's always an agency policy. Ultimately, whether we measure the lane width from center to center of the stripes, back of edge stripe to center of lane stripe, or inside to inside of stripes always boils down to how much real estate is available

Does your state DOT have a standard? Attached are the NYSDOT standard sheets for pavement markings; for a shared turning bay they don't show where to measure the lane width. Note that for a cross walk they show the lane width as inside to inside of stripes.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fc1e0b8a-dea4-4af6-851c-c3172fe1ade4&file=685-01_050213e1.pdf
Measuring center to center of the stripes is typical for design.

Theoretically, but it's easier to measure edge to edge on real objects ;-)

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back