Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Measurement Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminus0

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2012
US
Is there a way to get the measurement tool to measure the maximum distance between two curves? Because there seems to be an option on the popup that appears when the tool is activated but it doesn't seem to do anything. It still measures between the closest points. Am I using it wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mr T I have always cheated when that happens, by either putting a point at the high point of the curve, or draw a short c-line at the point.Then I can dimension from the points, or lines.My be crude, but it works good enough for manufacturing purposes.Or checking purposes. You know where the center mark of the Radiuses are and the radius dimension,Pencil and paper will figure it out.

I have always used the smart dimension tool to temporarily add a "Reference Dimension" between the 2 objects.

I actually prefer using the smart dimension rather than measure tool, as the measurement will remain part of the model til i delete it. I just wish the smart dimension tool would default to 'Reference', not 'DimXpert' at the part level.

I think you will need some kind of macro to iteratively interrogate geometry describing the situation.

Draw two lines inside the profile
Set their lengths to equal
Constrain their outer endpoints coincident to the curves, and the inner endpoints coincident to each other
Add two more lines perpendicular and coincident to the first two lines, and tangential to the curves
An inscribed circle can then be created using the end points of one of the first two lines.

Can't help with the macro though.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c40cc851-f08c-456d-b725-760384c340b4&file=Max_Distance.png
I am not certain, but I think the value you are after will be the diameter of a circle constrained to be tangent to both curves.

Eric

You may also need to add a line from the center of the circle to one of the tangent points and make that perpendicular to one of the curves. Alternatively once the tangent mates are in place, you could try dragging the circle to make it as large as possible.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back