Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Measuring lengths to deep intersection points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanM200

Industrial
Mar 7, 2023
GB
Hi all,

We have a new part to machine and inspect that externally is very basic. Essentially a cylinder 1215mm long with an o/d of 122mm. The issue we face lies with the internals of this cylinder... multiple i/d's ranging from 108mm to 92.5mm at various lengths with 20° angles leading to them. The dimensions to be measured are lengths from where these diameters intersect with the 20° angle, back to the end faces.
We have CMM's here but regardless of if we stand the part on its end or lay it down on the bed, there are 4 intersection lengths that we simply cant get close to. These depths in to the cylinder are 764mm, 740mm, 395mm and 374mm all with a tolerance of +/- 0.1mm.
We have looked in to extensions and longer PEL's etc but these won't get us deep enough inside to probe where we need.

Although we have searched online for other forms of equipment to measure this accurately, we haven't come across anything as of yet.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you looking for a long term solution, or is this a low volume type of thing? I could show you old school solutions, but it won't be suitable for high volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back