Measuring number of passes of car for pavement design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ale_Hideki

Civil/Environmental
Jul 2, 2019
JP
Hello guys,

I have this situation in my project: I need to design a pavement for an administrative building where will have 50 people working in there. About visitors or customers, it is not a building for receiving them, so actually, they will receive, perhaps, 3 or 4 occasionally. About traffic of vehicles, it will be passenger's car, small and medium truck, and fire truck rarely. This pavement will be concrete asphalt, base and subbase will be M-40 and C-40, and subbgrade will be the existent subbgrade in this location (they won't change the subbgrade, just renewing upper layers). So, how can I measure the number of passes for each vehicle? Well, reminding that it will be a design for 25 years.

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your traffic is predominantly cars and light trucks, most of the pavement damage will be environmental, from thermal stresses and water infiltration.

The most common vehicle-related damage I've seen in parking lots is a creep-type deformation under the wheels in the parking stalls. Street pavement design based on number of passes won't address that. Good subbase design and construction, and perhaps some geogrid in the subbase could help mitigate that.

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

If you run the numbers with that traffic, you'll probably get something like 3/4" of asphalt and 3" base.
You should use a minimum section of 1.5" asphalt and 6" base and pay attention to the subgrade preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back