Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

measuring part planes' distance in an assembly 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlsna

Industrial
Oct 24, 2005
US
Greetings,
One of the guys I work with ask me for help in constraining some parts in his assembly. Now these parts were imports from Ideas, so they have there reference planes all over the place. He is wanting to constrain some parts that do not have common geometry to others, however, we can use the reference planes for mating the parts. The question is, and what I seem to be unable to do in the assembly, is to measure the normal distance between the reference planes of each part or even to the assemblies reference planes. I can start it and select one of the planes, but I am unable to select another plane in order to get a distance measurement. FYI, we are using V17.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

amlsna,

You cannot measure from part plane to part plane OR from part plane to assy plane in an assembly. For whatever reason a parts planes are not selectable using any of the measure commands.

The only alternative I know is to start a sketch in a plane normal to planes you want to measure between. Then you can use the dimension tools to get your distance. You can dimension between two plane edges without actually placing the dimension

Hi,

I'm not sure about what's possible with V17.

I tried in V19 anyhow and if you show part reference planes at assembly level (RMB/Show-hide component...), you can then use inspect/measure minimum distance between part planes.

Nb: the only pb I had was that the 2nd did not highlight before I selected it.

Fred

Hi,

V19 seems to be the first version to allow that time. Here is
what I found out so far:

Plane to plane Distance V18 yes V19 yes
Minimum V18 no V19 yes
Normal V18 no V19 no
Angle V18 yes V19 yes

dy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back