measuring vibrations > 1Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmylovesni

Automotive
Jul 13, 2010
US

Hello.
I need to quantify the amplitude of some vibration and waves we are experiencing. They motion is at approximately 1 to 1.5Mhz has an amplitude in the low micrometer to nanometer range. I understand that this is at the distance*frequency limit for a laser vibrometer. Other options I would hoping for was an LVDT with a core frequency in the 10Mhz range (generally they work at 1/10th the core frequency), but cant find a vendor that makes one at the frequency. ? Has anyone ever used SAW (surface acoustic waves) sensor for this type of application?, they seem to be mostly for chemical detection. Any ideas?
Thanks
Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

how about using a ultrasound transducer in the 1Mhz range as a reciver? Maybe if the transducer is the proper size relating to the size of the vibration and wavelength? Is there a way to amplify and calibrate it for recieved ampliutide?

Jim,
Laser vibrometers can measure out-of-plane vibration up to 1.2 Ghz within a picometer resolution. Typical applications include ultrasonic transducer, MEMS, SAW filter.
For further info, check the following link: polytec.com
Francois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back