Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical designers books and others.... 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsmiff

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2008
GB
Hi

Im after some reviews or pointers towards books for the mechanical engineer.

I have come across a book by Marks, whcih seems to cover a heck of a lot (798 somewhat pages) but it costs about a 100 quid on amazon..has anybody seen or uses this book ? Or does anyone have any other books they would recommend ?

Also, i wish to get into pneumatics, can anyone recommend where i would start to educate myself on this topic? Again i have seen some books but i have no idea if they are any good or if in fact there are any online resources.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thread404-221229 someone gave me some really good pneumatic links.

As regards books, this comes up every few months. Take a look/do a search.

Machinery's is a good general/practical reference for many of us.

Roarkes is a good stress ref.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I've never found anythig useful in Marks. I'm not saying it doesn't have its place, but it seems rather more useful for designing one-off plants than high volume production stuff.

One of Shigley's books is good to have around for real nuts and bolts calculatons.

Sorry, haven't got a clue about pneumatics books.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

thread404-14216

thread731-165482

thread404-497

was the pneumatics one from budt I mentioned before.

If you do your own search of this site I'm sure you'll find a bunch more opinions.

FAQ731-376: rule #1

Please conduct internet-based research (such as Google.com) and review the site FAQs, along with performing an Eng-Tips.com site search prior to posting a new question on these fora.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I agree with the above:

Mark's Handbook wasn't useful to me, just regurgitated college textbook stuff.

Machinery's Handbook is a great resource for practical engineering applications.

There are a few "catch-all" books on the market that have all the typical engineering formulas in them (but none of the theory behind them). Those may be useful.

Strictly for pneumatics, I'd go look at the pneumatic equipment manufacturer's catalogs, engineering manuals, and websites. You most likely can get everything you need for no cost from FESTO, SMC, Parker, Numatics, and a dozen others.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

I have a few book that are in my mind a must have for Mechanical Engineers

1. Machinery's Handbook (Every good machinest, welder, and Quality Department has a copy. This does not have to be a new copy my copy is over 10 years only and not much has change between aditions.)
2. Design of weldments by Blodgett (it covers most of the comment type of weldments)
3. Roark's (Good book for stress problems)
4. Mechanical Ref Handbook from EASA. (I keep my near by for quick check it cover the simple thing like units slings, eyebolts, Shackles, bolts, belting and many other items. This all can be found in the Machinery's Handbook but it is a lot small on 63 pages.)
5. Any Electrical Engineering Pocket Handbook (I have seen a number of them but they all have the same ref material in them. It is good to know what the Electrical Engineerings are talking about.)

I keep even more at my desk but that is the top 5 for me.

As for Mark's finding anything that you need it fall far short from the above list or any of you text books.

I hvae always worked vary little with pneumatics so I can't help you with that.

Chris

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics." Homer Simpson

Some of the best material for practical applications would be manufacturers' and distributors' engineering material included in product brochures. The drawback is that these engineering design guidelines would only be applicable to their products. This type of material is limitless and free of charge in the good old U.S.A..

I use the dodge bearings catalog, the Goodyear belt catalog and Parker's o-ring catalog.

Luck is a difficult thing to verify and therefore should be tested often. - Me

chicopee is vary right about most of the free product brochures but they are good start. Most don't go to deep in to how they got all of the values in the books. But that has not stoped me from using them.

Chris

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics." Homer Simpson

I STRONGLY suggest the Machinist Handbook! I refer to it as The Bible.

Marks is nice if you are doing a constant study of Material Fatigue etc. As stated, mine doesnt see daylight that often.

Hi
I suggest to use this Books;
Mechanical Engineer's Handbook By:Dan B. Marghitu
Mechanical Engineer’s Reference Book By:Edward H. Smith
But about penumatic & hidrolic strongly recomand you that learn Industrail automation & Simulation software: "Automation Studio" by using this software i promise u that u dont need any other refrences, if u have Hidrolic & penumatic knowledg a bit u cam simply learn this soft, its realy applied software.

amae36 I'd be cautious of that level of reliance on what I assume is essentially a design & simulation software.

Sounds similar to saying you don't need to learn how to draw/detail, just learn to use CAD. I've seen the consequences of this attitude, it aint pretty. Or perhaps just learning an FEA package instead of taking structures/stress courses etc.

I could be wrong but seems this type of software is just a tool that can be misused as easily as it can be correctly used. That’s not to say you can’t learn anything in the process but relying on it as a primary educational tool seems risky.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at

Mechanical engineers can become members of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in London. As members you will have access to 1500+ books from Knovel and 24/7.

In addition you could become a member of The Institution of Engineers Australia who also have, for a premium of $33/year, access to an electronic library including many mechanical engineering textbooks.

I am sure ASME has similar electronic libraries.

One book could be the equivalent of a years subscription. Books by such authors as such as Marks, Perry, Roark & Young, Becht etc etc

These libraries are accessible through any browser. So if you are travelling you do not have to carry your textbooks with you.

Students of mechanical engineering, partaking in an accredited mechanical engineering degree course, can join both of these institutions for free.

1) Recognition by one's peers
2) Increased salary
3) Increased promotion opportunities
4) Mentoring young engineers
5) Access to technical papers
6) Benevolent Society to aid if you fall on hard times
7) Become part of the engineering village
*) Pathway to chartered engineer status
9) Increased mobility in international companies

There are many other benefits for joining such learned societies. Support your institutions otherwise they will not be there in the future.

Geoff Stone
Chairman IMechE NSW Panep Australia

kenat,
u right there, u must have good base in penumatic systems to use this soft but i just give u a soggest!
I wish u can learn ur intrests as quickly that u can,but i think u must point to this goals in ur efforts to learn, keep in ur mind that there is a software in ur interest that it can make a huge changes in ur knowlegs around the penumatics, for there more this software can use as a assistance inside of the other ways such as hand books or etc, also it has a good GUI and a library of hidrolic and penumatic contents and u can simply find thair aplications and other relatid informtions however at last u must find the best way to access success.

Thanks GregLocock
Sorry about this,my languge is not english and my grammatical is too bad,But i try to fix this!!!
dear GregLocock dont wory about my pearls of wisdom, i am take care to its hardly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back