Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mechanical devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDaddio

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2003
US
I am a furniture designer working on a adjustable lounge chair. I would like to find a resource for various types of mechanical devices/concepts I could use. Is there a website that outlines basic mechanical engineering devices?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

McGrqw Hill published a book by Robert Parmley, P.E. titled "Illustrated Sourcebook of Mechanical Components" ISBN number 0-07-048617-4

Might help, don't know if you can find it online...

There is a four volume set titled "Ingenious Mechanisms".

[bat]On justice and on friendship, there is no price, but there are established credit limits.[bat]

I am designing a fully mechanised chair. I have a prototype in progress now. Maybe there is something I can help you with? Don't worry, I am not designing a lounge chair! My chair actually gets larger and smaller to fit the person sitting in it, as well as the ability to adjust all angles. Mine is for medical purposes, but I am sure that my experience in this area could possibly help you come up with ideas and solutions to your problems.
If you are not overly familiar with mechanical concepts, then looking at resources may not be overly helpful to you. A few good pictures will not help you determine how it actually works, and thus how to apply such concepts to your design.
If you wish, you may contact me at this address:

thorn21@cableone.net

This is funny actually. I am a mechanical engineer building a highly configurable chair, but with limited furniture design experience. You are a furniture designer, with limited mechanical engineering experience. Could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back