Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical dulling finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

IngeAX

Industrial
Feb 26, 2014
US
Hi Guys, need your help in getting some info in subject above; I have been searching about it and until now nothing...does anybody know what is this finish (Mechanical Dulling), do you have a link so I can learn about it?
Thank you guys

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is not a recognized process name, it just means use a mechanical method to dull/roughen the surface. Could be abrasive blasting or similar.

There are some standards for cosmetic mill surface finish of materials as produced. I recall descriptions like 1D or 2D being used for the mill finish of stainless steel sheet. I assume the 'D' meant "dull".

Yeah, I was going to suggest "vibratory finishing". Throwing the part in the vibrating bowl with all the deburring media stones will give a nice homogeneous scratched-dull finish. Very common.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

A "mechanical dulling" finish would seem to imply a process that produces a uniformly smooth but non-reflective surface. A grit blasted surface would normally be described as a "matte" finish. I would agree that a vibratory tumble using the proper media would produce a "mechanical dull" finish. A finish that is both uniform and non-reflective.

Of course the term "dulling" would seem to imply a process that makes a surface less polished or smooth.

IngeAX,

Please define "dull" for us. Is this an anti-glare surface. Is this a laser absorbing finish for an optical system? Is it a cool looking that that contrasts with nearby shiny paint?

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back