Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Engineer lost on civil rebar drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serrand

Mechanical
May 9, 2007
CA
Hello Guys,
hopefully somebody can help me the internet hasn't been too helpful. I am doing a material takedown for rebar in a large bridge construction project. Never having been subjected to civil drawings before the progress is slow and painful.
I was wondering if anybody could direct me to a website describing Canadian drawing standards.
Thank you very much
Domenic

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No offense meant here, but what is a Mechanical Engineer doing trying to do a structural rebar takeoff for a bridge? Sounds like a gross misapplication of talent to me.

Do you have any experience in the proper placement of rebar in concrete bridge structures in order to do an accurate takeoff?

Sorry, but this bothers me.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

First of all it's a third takeoff for rebar i.e. third redundency and secondly I don't need to know how to place them . All I do is finger out quantities of types by going through drawings, which by now I have no more problems with.
Thirdly I don't see how a MTO should be concerning to you... no offence

I think the civil/structural types use aisc drafting standards. AISC publishes a drafting manual. That might help. I doubt that Canadian standards are that different.

Thank you very much guys. I sat down with manuals and a couple civil engineers and once I had done the first few I understood it's not very hard, just tedious.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back