Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mechanical Engineer wanting to switch to aircraft maintenance 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asanga

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2002
CH
I found a lot of info on my question on a previous thread where an aeronautical engineering grad wanted some help from the old-timers. But as I stated in the heading, my situation is that I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have worked for an interior mod company for VIP aircraft for about two years. While there, I worked for the Environmental Control Systems group designing basic water drainage and air circulation systems. I have also worked in Weights and Balance and in some of the strutural mod work (not primary strutural work though). My interest is to get into the maintenance side and probably work for a major airline.So my question is how should I proceed academic wise??? For initial employment with an airline, I am sure I need to have something like the FlightSafety International Engineering Safety program that the guy in a previous thread talked about.(thread2-30379 I am not currently in the US although my degree and work experience is from there. But I am hoping to emigrate to Canada and I would like to plan out my path ahead of time. I would guess that the Canadian Civil Aviation Industry would follow the same rules as the US (please pardon my ignorance if that is not the case!!!)
Thank you very much for any information or advice that can be provided. Meanwhile, I will try to dig through all the info goodies that are in this Forum and try to find some more stuff that will help me out.
Thank you,
Asanga

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I was in college I co-opped with many mechanical engineers. When it comes to repairs it doesn't matter too much what your degree is in. You need to know statics, materials, and so on. You don't necessarily need to know aerodynamics and things like that.
Most of the mechanical engineers were aerospace engineering students till they got squeamish and bailed out for the relative stability of mechanical.
Long story short, I'd bone up on some aircraft topics, maybe buy some aircraft structures books, but your engineering skills will probably already land you a job.
T

Astroclone,
Thank you for the advice. Yes I will try to read up on aircraft structures and related subjects. Luckily when I was working for the Interior Mod company in the US, my more experienced co-workers were kind enough to let me have a great deal of photocopies from their 'Books of Knowledege' on fastner specs, design guidlines and FAA and Boeing structural repair data. One of them also gifted me with his extra set of FAR 141 books that he used to study for the A and P license. So I will surely read up on those. Although the books are about ten years old i'm sure it will give me a basis. If you or anybody else has any more advice for me it will be greatly appreciated.
I am particlularly interested in finding out about extra courses of study (in Canada or in the US) that might help me and make my resume look attractive to prospective airline recruiters.
Once again thank you for taking the time to help me out.
Asanga

My recommendation is NOT to enter this segment of the Engineering market. With the numerous shops closing, wages are in the basement. Many shops have closed. Only the cheapest amongst us are finding work and the environments are abusive. Remember, in a maintenance shop you are NOT in charge, and the head of Engineering will NOT be an Engineer, more than likely a stressed-out A & P mechanic "acting" as Director of Maintenance. You will be regarded as a neccessary evil, because you will have far more education than almost anybody around you. More than likely computer equipment will be poor with limited or obsolete software. However, if you like working on Airplanes and being greasy, go for it.

Asanga...

If You really like [love] aviation maintenance [shop-level up-to depot and overhaul facility level], then it is imperative that You have "hands-on" maintenance experience. Aero Engineers are particularly "shorted" on this aspect, due to colleges emphasizing pure engineering theory... and few/no practical/hands-on experiences with real hardware!!

>One way to do this is by getting an A, P or A&P mechanic's licence by way of an approved school [usually Jr college or private school].

>Another way is to immerse Yourself in aviation maintenance manuals/publications that are available thru various bookstores and websites like these...
[Aviation Book Co]

A single good book is "Aircraft Production Technology" ['86]available at Barnes and Noble ISBN: 0521265533

Also... check-out the downloadable FAA AC's at:

The AC43.13 series is particulary good [updated]... and it's free!!!

>Work for a General Aviation manufacturer as a liaison engineer! This is a great way to get a wide diversity of fab/assembly/instl/operations experience in a hurry!

>Help someone build an aircraft... especially in a shop [as opposed to garage] environment. Homebuilt aircraft kit manufacturer's [Vans, Zenair, Lancair, etc]... have sponsored really great fabrication, assembly and maintenance courses [for their kit-acft] on a regular basis at the "factory" and at various sites country-wide. Check out these websites for forums and kit-building shop courses...

NOTES:

I got early hands-on experience by helping my dad build an all-metal, simple Thorp T-18 homebuilt ['67--'71+ in my high shcool years!]. He/we did it all... and I was his main "helper". I learned a lot of practical stuff most engrs don't... and got really wide-eye when flying in that acft we [Dad & I] encountered +4g to -1.5G turbulance over the rockies that was temporarily uncontrolable... and the acft cracked and popped all over... but came out safely... and flew for many years afterward [now in a museum]. "Building and flying Your own acft" makes this business a very real/serious personal "life-and-death" and subject!!!!

I also worked as a liaison engr at PIPER-Aerostar Div and Fairchild-Swearingen [Metros/Merlins]. Huge experience gain from working thru the various shops and assy areas working MRB tags.. . and the delivery centers and test-flight shops.

I also have a very large personal library, accumulated over many years. It includes MANY aircraft maintenance manuals and texts... as well as others [+50 books directly and indirectly rlated to acft maintenance]. NOTE: Your library is Your most valuable asset. Build it any way You can... diverse knowledge is invaluable!!!

Lot's of ways to get-there-from-here and have fun thru-out a career!!! I am enjoying my life's choice a lot!!! Regards, Wil Taylor

Thanks everyone for the enlightening information.

Mr. Taylor, wow!! Thanks especially for taking the time to provide me with all that information. Also if I may say so, what an impressive resume!!! As you advised I am in the midst of getting a library of aircraft maintenance related tech publications together. Probably the A and P route would be the way to go for me.

Mr. Falky thank you for your views also. Yeah its good to be aware of the reality of the situation going into it. Like you said, I feel that I will be much happier getting my hands dirty than being at a computer terminal designing all day long. I had a taste of the maintenance side by working with some of the maintenance guys after my work shift at my previous work place in the Mod Shop. And I liked what I was doing.

Once again gentleman thank you for taking the time off to help a newbie!!!!
Cheers
Asanga

There are two routes to earning an A&P. Both are time based.

You have to spend a specified amount of time in an accredited school.

Or

You need a specified number of hours working with an A, P, or A&P who is willing to take responsibility for the work you accomplish. These hours need to be logged and signed off by the responsable Technician.

You can know everything there is to know and it will do you little good without the time. Least that's how it was when I earned my license.

This may have changed by now, but one thing about working aircrtaft in Canada is the certificate is by aircraft. IE: You may be certified on the 757, but it will not allow you to work on a MD-11.

Granted this information may be out of date, I've been buming around for a while working on another degree.

I thought Johnfalky's take on things was a little pessimistic.
I recently left (Laid off, company shut down) the type of operation that he is warning about. Engineering was run by a less than far sighted engineer. Maintenance was run by a glorified short sighted A&P. The troops tried, but in the end the place folded. But I digress...
I started a job in February at a company that does aircraft interiors and repairs. It's really pretty amazing what we can do. Engineering is run by a DER and we have quite a few DER's on staff. So I would like to negate johnfalky's claim to not even try by saying try by all means.
T

ps My project engineer spent nearly 20 years as an industrial engineer at a brewery.

Asanga,

It's interesting that I came across your post. I am currently a Mechanical Engineer living in Calgary working as an optimization engineer in the oilfield. My current career has taken me around the world but at the same time left me yearning for something more. I am a private pilot looking to somehow apply my degree to a career in aviation. I happen to be one of the lucky few who love to get their hands dirty and have done so with my own airplane in the past (within the limits set forth by the FAA under the "owner mainenance" privlidges).

Currently, I am looking for a way to get my A&P/AME certificate believing that this step will get me closer to realizing the dream. On a side note, I almost withdrew from engineering school to get my A&P liscence. I'm glad I didn't as the opportunities with a mechanical engineering degree have been greater. Somehow, something keeps drawing me back to a career in aviation.

I suppose I have no advice to offer in respect to your pursuit other than if I can help locate material for you about an AME certificate in Canada, I'll sure try.

My questions to the group are:
Is it possible to gain a certificate while working a day job?

What is the best way to work into a career as an engineer with a penchant for aircraft maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Ryan Broglie

More: Actually, I'm not pessimistic at all, 20 years of experience indicates I like the A/C maintenance business. Its the FAA regulatory structure with some serious embedded practices that I consider a problem, and the pressures of an industry with high turnover and an acute shortage of skilled operations management, "an A & P License" does NOT qualify you for critical management positions, yet this is what is mandated by the FAA. Overall, in maintenance, the skills of the Engineer and his major responsibilities are taken for granted. This is why so many folks leave this profession so quickly. If you work in a large maintenance shop where many folks barely have a high school education, you will have a LOT OF RESPONSIBILITY, but NOT much authority. The only way to survive is to show competence and leadership, be a team player but make sure that everything you do, without exception is to the letter of the regulations. Please note my viewpoint is not solitary. If you go to the FAA HFAW netsite, you will see the problems documented. Because so many A & P mechanics fail in management positions, the FAA has coined the term "RDM" (Revolving Door Management) as a major problem that interferes with needed improvements in the American Aircraft Maintenance Industry.

I just read this thread, and I would like to add a little variation to asanga's question:
How do you see the space industry?

I am in a similar position to asanga (mechanical, not us resident), but my degree is not from US. However, I plan to get an SDM degree from MIT specializing in aerospace.

A. MIT's SDM will get me <<in the game>>?
B. Is the private space industry only a bluff, with just NASA and ESO doing business?
C. Is correct that cheap fiber optic rings have almost killed satellite business?
D. Do you foresee a Mars program or a the Space Station program as a possible employment source?
E. Should I move all this to the Spacecraft Thread?
Thanks
sancat

Hey guys,
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out. Sorry I was so late in replying. Yeah looks like I will be heading to Canada towards March of next year.So let's see how it will turn out. I'm pretty excited though.

Ryan Broglie: thanks for the offer to find info on the Canadian Maintenance scene, yeah any insight you could provide will probably help me out. As for going for the AME while holding down a daytime job, well that is how I am planning to go about it too. It would probably be really great if the daytime job is with firm like Bombardier.I think bigger companies in the aircraft field would also financially support an employee trying to get a useful qualification like an AME. So that is something to keep in mind I guess.(at least they do at Boeing, where I think they actually have night classes for that)

Sancat: Hopefully people will be able to help you out here. I would figure that a degree from MIT would definitely open doors. But that's just my two cents.
Anyway folks thanks again, will keep y'all updated on how it all turns out. Happy Holidays everyone!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Asanga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back