Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mechanical engineers who do steel design work

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyPF

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2022
AU
I am a ME based in Australia, and work on a variety of projects which can often mean that I feel that I am straying away from what I feel ME's should be working on (or at least on the very edge)
My question more specifically is around what experiences do other mechanical engineers have with steel design, and at what point do they start to pull out and leave it to a structural engineer.
My opinion at this point is that if it isn't permanently connected to the ground (involve design of foundations or wind loads), its more or less fair game for a ME to do the design work as long as they feel they are competent to do so. (trailers/ transport skids, some lifting equipment, etc)
I am also wondering if the Grad Certificate in structural engineering offered by the University of Southern Queensland might be a good option to boost competency in this area, although not enough to deem oneself as a structural engineer in the civil sense (I have seen at least one member of this forum who has looked at this course and would be keen to see if they/others have an opinion)
thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back