Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Envelopes Min/Max dims vs Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinNM

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2012
US
I'm working on some Mechanical Envelope drawings. We typically use max dimensions to show the outer boundary of non-interface surfaces. And normal GD&T (position & profile) for interface surfaces.

My problem is, there are a few cable routing areas that are irregular shaped and oriented. I would really like to profile these surfaces but i don't care about the Least Material Condition. And i know that some areas that would be included in the profile will not be even close to the tolerance zone, but again i don't care.

Is there any way to do a "One Sided Profile"? I thought about a unilateral with an extremely large zone but that doesn't seem right.

Any thoughts?
~Kevin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

KevinNM,

Are these mechanical envelope drawings for your cable routing people, or are they fabrication drawings?

For an envelope drawing, all anybody would be interested in is LMC. I would not show a profile tolerance. Just say the hole is at least this big. Everything will be simpler.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back