Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Properties for L164 Aluminum, T4 Temper

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbaero

Aerospace
May 16, 2011
Hi, I am looking for some mechanical properties (Ftu, Fty, Fcy, Fsu, Fbru, etc.) for L164 Aluminum, T4 temper. I found some cross references for L164 aluminum to 2014 aluminum online, but when I check MMPDS-01, T4 is not a typical temper for 2014 aluminum. So, I'm not sure what the true mechanical properties are for L124. We're working on a lower wing skin repair on a Britten-Norman Islander aircraft (used as a crop duster here down south) that is apparently made of the L164 material, but we have no data for the material. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, yes, I had found that, too. I was kind of looking for more of an "apples to apples" type comparison with respect to all the mechanical properties usually gleaned from MMPDS-01 (Ftu, Fty, Fcy, Fsu, Fbru, etc.) but I'm not sure where to find it.

The L164 specification is a British Standards Aerospace call out with the full specification being BS L 164 and is titled;

"Sheet and Strip of Aluminium-Coated Aluminium- Copper- Magnesium-Silicon- Manganese Alloy (Solution Treated and Aged at Room Temperature) (Cu 4.4, Mg 0.5, Si 0.8, Mn 0.8)"

It should have properties in the ESDU Metallic Materials Data Handbook,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back