Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Seal For Lime Milk Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike1180

Mining
Nov 16, 2021
CA
We are selecting pumps for a lime milk recirculation system.

I've done many such systems for mining process, pumping lime milk with 15 to 18% hydrated lime. Mechanical seals are always used with no seal water nor quench water. Never got any negative feedback and I witnessed some working perfectly.

Now, the lime content is 20%. Some people worry that the mechanical seal will not get proper cooling.

Your thought? Any experience?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Talk to a mechanical seal vendor ... ask about his experience..... What is the vendor and model of the seal in question ?

Go back to the plant manger for the lime milk systems that you have done. Ask him to take 10 minutes and physically take the seal temperature with a remote device. Is this temperature at 15 to 18% lime anywhere near the maximum temperature permitted for the seal ?

Tell "some people" who ask obviously pointed and difficult questions to keep their mouths shut... or you will do the same to them

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I don't think that cooling is the issue. The issue is particles getting between the sealing surfaces. I've experience with a new mechanical seal failing in minutes with a slurry of polymer particles. Had to go with a flushed seal.

Hi,
My experience with milk of lime in the chemical industry ( water treatment and distillation both on soda ash process ) is flushed seal for the reasons explained by Compositepro.
You need to collect the water polluted with lime and recycle it somewhere in your process .
Concentration Cao (g/l) : 130 g/l for Water treatment and 260 g/l for distillation .
Pierre

Thanks to all you responded!

Hope to hear more references!

To MJCronin: Good approach, but I do not keep contact with the past projects. Actually people keep moving so easily lose contact with them.

To Compositepro and peirreick: Mechanical seal specially designed for slurry service works fine with some light slurries. It can last for a couple of years if maintained properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back