Mechanical treatment of magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubihubi2

Bioengineer
May 18, 2011
IE
Dear All,

I would like to ask you about mechnical treatment methods that would be suitable for the magnetic materials. I need the permanent magnet of sophisticated shape (please also refer to the drawing of the final element), as strong as possible, which could be simultaneously machined (e.g. milling, EDM machine). The magnetic element does not need to have angled vertical edges as shown on the drawing (the width of each element's strip would be uniform and equal to 3mm as shown on the drawing).

Thank you.

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The material and magnet strength requirements will dictate what you can do with the shape and how. Most sintered materials are probably not going to work with these dimensions, unless they're bonded to some sort of support foundation.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

You can wire EDM such a shape out of SmCo or fully sintered NdFeB
It's a bit large, I'm not sure if you could find a starting block large enough.
It would be very fragile and difficult to magnetize afterwards. Which way does it need to be magnetized?

you might also want to use dutiule permanent magnets, such as Arnokrome, Carpener "73" alloy etc., if you donot need a quite a strong magnetic field.
If you need large quantity, the machining work will be huge starting with a large block. if hte roleracne is not critical, you may think about sintering the right size directly without much machining, only grinding.

Keep in mind the option of bonded magnets. Although not as as strong as sintered rare earth magnets (~10 MGOe for bonded vs. ~40 MGOe for sintered), an injection molded magnet would be much more economical if you intend to produce these in any significant volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back