Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mechanicals test for 2 transfers mode on the same test coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisLac

Materials
May 5, 2012
CA
What's about the mechanicals test. I've qualified a PQR GMAW solid wire (request impact test) with a test coupon 40 mm, one side (20 mm) in 3G short circuit and the other side (20 mm) in 1G spray mode. For the mechanical test, I think I need 2 tensile (full thickness), 4 side bend test and for chary, if I want 1 set for weld, 1 set for spray's HAZ and 1 set for short-circuiting's HAZ. With this PQR, I will qualify a WPS for all of the transfer mode and for all positions, base metal thickness 16-200 mm and weld deposited 200mm. What are you thinking about that? Thanks for your comments, Louis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LouisLac,
The paragraph I referred to contains the requirements for impact testing a PQR. I think if you review that you'll see that an additional test in the weld is required due to the thickness being > 38 mm. In my opinion you'd want to test each process ( mode) anyway.
For other tests you need to represent each procedure, but with full thickness specimens, in my opinion, you're complying with that requirement.
For each process ( mode) you'll have heat input restrictions based on that recorded on your PQR for that process
( mode) and of course welding in the 3G position will be restricted to the short circuiting arc mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back