Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanotronics software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skanskan

Civil/Environmental
Jul 29, 2007
ES
Hello.

Do you know any good software for mechatronic design and simulation?
I only know the module of NX but I was looking for something more specialized.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was thinking about something more specializad, such as Webots, V-rep, Simwise, Gazebo, ROS,...
What's the most powerful software for mechatronics and mobile robots?.
With a good GUI, able to design a simulate electricity, pneumatics and mechanics, with libraries of typical components and sensors.
Ideally a software also able to transfer code to a programable device on the robot (I don't know if QNX, VXWorks, Ecos, RTX or something else).

I don't like Simulink because it needs Matlab and I think it's a system bloated, slow and too big, and it's not specialized in this area and you can't create complex 3D parts easily.

JohnRBraker,
I haven't used NX Mechatronics, but how do you compare it to other mechatronics, robotics programs?
I guess it can't simulate any electricity.

Perhaps if you asked these questions in the Siemens NX forum you might have a better chance of getting some comments from people who have actually used NX Mechatronics Concept Designer and/or have evaluated specific competitive systems.

As for my opinions on this, I've never used or even spent much time looking at any sort of competitive products so my views would not provide you what you're looking for.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

But I didn't want to speak about NX but in general, about other programs.
If you want to do something complex in NX you need to use it alongside other program (Simulink) with a Co-Simulation. Isn't it? Or does the mechatronic module also have this "intelligent" scripting capabilities included?

I don't recall you EVER asking a single question about NX Mechatronics Concept Designer in the Siemens NX forum, yet you come here making noises about not being able to do what you want and when the suggestion is made that perhaps you might get some better insight if you posted your questions on the NX forum you suddenly claim that you're not really interested in learning about NX Mechatronics Concept Designer. If that's true, then why did you even mention NX in the first place?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

JohnRBraker, I think I haven't said I'm not interested in learning about NX Mechatronics Concept Designer, maybe my English is confusing.
Anyway, I came to this forum because I'm interested in all software, not only NX, but including NX.

skanskan,

There is a serious advantage to running simulation software inside your CAD package. Either you are directly simulating based on your CAD geometry, or you are simulating, and basing your design directly on the results.

I have just discovered that I can draw force vector diagrams directly on top of SolidWorks drawings. These are parametric, i.e., the force vectors update when I modify the CAD model. When I get what I want, I will make my drawings directly off the same CAD models.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back