Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechnical workshop foundation design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snatch

Structural
Dec 13, 2000
MS
Hi,

I would like some advice, I have given the task to design the foundation of a new mechanical workshop in my department. The building will be a steel framed structure. I am responsible for designing the pad footings for the columns and the floor slab.
I have a few questions:
1) Do we need ground beam connecting the pad footings?
2) If 1) is required. When analysing the ground beams, would they be as beams in bending, how should i analyse them?. Would the beam be designed for axial tension or compression?
3)The floor slab must be able to carry heavy vehicular loading for example excavators, 10 ton rollers and tippers when they are being serviced. I have designed suspended slabs before but never designed a slab on grade for heavy loads and vibration.

I would really appreciate input or advice from anyone

Thanks
D.W

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DW...your questions, as the attorneys would say, are "overly broad"!

As to your need for grade beams, it will depend upon your building geometry, loading, and most particularly your soil conditions. Your column footings will depend greatly upon your soil conditions, so I would suggest you start there by getting adequate soil information with which to start your design.

Further, it appears you have not done this before, so I would suggest that you get someone involved who is familiar with structural design and building code applications. It could be a great opportunity for you to learn, but please don't try to do so in a "vacuum". As "analytically elementary" as the process may seem, there are numerous nuances of design and code application that can be problematic for one not familiar with their application.

Though it sounds as if you have a lightly loaded building to design, there could be many issues that cannot be covered in a forum that could "haunt" you on the back end.

Proceed with caution and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back