Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Medium Voltage Air Circuit Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill99

Electrical
Nov 9, 2004
CA
Are ALL medium voltage air circuit breakers considered obsolete now? Are there ANY manufacturers left? Or has all
NEW installations gone the route of vacuum or SF6? I know there are direct replacement vacuum breakers and also reconditioned or used breaker vendors.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think there are still a few manufaturers left. But I assume it will depend on your MV-rating. We have a few ABB and Siemens air breakers, but on lower MV voltages (3300V)
I am not sure if it can handle higher MV voltages.

If I remember correctly the ABB-breakers are called SACE-breakers. Not sure about the Siemens product's name. If you need it, I can check it up for you.

[red]Failure seldom stops us, it is the fear for failure that stops us - Jack Lemmon[/red]

Make the best use of Eng-Tips.com
Read the Site Policies at FAQ731-376

Hi Ralph,

ABB's SACE breakers are LV, or at least there are SACE LV breakers. We have a number of them on 415V service. I didn't realise that the range went up to MV.

Aside: interesting read in J&P about tertiary windings - thanks!

----------------------------------

One day my ship will come in.
But with my luck, I'll be at the airport!

Today all new breakers are vacuum, you can put twice as many in the same foot print. Nothing wrong with air-magnetic if their maintained. SF6 didn't seem to take off as well as vacuum for <34Kv class.
ABB uses Sace for low voltage and Germany breakers for medium and high voltage adapted for Nema standards. But they still support the ITE, Gould, BBC switchgear products. K-Line, HK, etc.

Switchgearman,

ABB does have MV breakers with SF6 gas insulation also made at the Sace factory in Italy for MV breakers the HD4 (SF6 insulation type) and the VD4 (vacuum insulation type) are both manufactured at the same factory near Bergamo for about 2/3years now. I don't know if they are still making the VD4 in Germany if so that would be restricted for local market only.
And for some (European) countries the SF6 MV breakers are as popular as the vacuum MV breakers, in some cases even more popular, its all in the local preferences.

kind regards

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back