Meehanite Grade E

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyjb88

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2010
NZ
Hello All
I have some existing castings manufactured circa 1955 which drawings indicate are Meehanite Grade E. I'm fairly sure the castings were completed in England, by or through Ransomes & Rapier.
The modern Meehanite grades are completely different, and it is exceedingly difficult to find anything technical from the 1950's era.

Does anyone have detail on the Mechanical properties of Meehanite "Grade E", or have a catalog from this era?

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I recall correctly, Meehantie was a trade name of a particular foundry back in the day.
I have some gears I still make for machines that go back to the 1930's or there about.
The drawing only calls out "Meehanite".
I believe it was an old-timer metallurgist that told me that to use Class 40 Gray Iron as a substitute, which I have for many years with no issues.
Actually, the machine shop uses Durabar G2.

I have an old copy of "Engineering Alloys" (1954 edition) which shows a tensile strength of 30,000 psi for Meehanite E. Brinell hardness is shown as 140. It is also noted that Grade E was superceded by grade GE.

Many thanks, that is all quite helpful information.
swall, would you mind posting a photo of the page you refer to in reference? I am unable to locate a copy of the book you refer to. It seems the old books are often some of the best references!

Thrift books, $36 not 1954, but close
Is there another author? What edition was the 1954 version?

Engineering Alloys, 4th Edition,
by Norman E. Woldman
Edition Details
Format: Hardcover
Language: English
ISBN: B00JCVDUOQ
Release Date: January 1962
Publisher: Reinhold
Length: 1354 Pages
Weight: 4.85 lbs.

Thanks Tmoose, appreciated. I'm in NZ at the bottom of the world, so shipping of books here usually costs more than the book - and takes a month or more. (don't get me started on availability of engineering material here either! If its not used to milk cows, you basically can't get it).

However, this looks like a handy reference for working with old kit, I might need to track one down.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back