Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meet The Baby Boom – XB-1 Supersonic Demonstrator, Rolled-Out 7 Oct 2020 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WKTaylor

Sep 24, 2001
US
Fairly in-depth article on the test-bed 'BOOM' aircraft XB-1... on roll-out... intended to lead to development of the next generation high(er)-efficiency[!?], 'environmentally friendly' SST.

Hmmm... I wonder if the single pilot has an ejection seat?

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

for all the hope (and hysteria) this is a technology demonstrator for their "real" plane, the Overture (smaller than the Concorde when people said the Concorde was too small … maybe things have changed). The issue with Overture is that it doesn't have an engine. It also doesn't have any sonic boom mitigation.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

thanks guys, i thought i'm last man on this planet who has some doubts related to projects like this one :D... clearly there is no room for ejection seat in cockpit of the demonstrator, but it was "ergonomically tested" by the statement in the article, i think it should satisfy the test pilot as well :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back