Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MEG Storage and Pumping Operating Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikadoh9

Chemical
Jan 18, 2013
QA
Hey guys, sorry if this question has already been asked.

But does anyone have an example of an Operating Manual for a MEG Storage and Pumping Onshore Facilities.

I am meant to write one for my project but I have no idea what the operating procedure is, I am required to write about the initial start-up, normal start-up and emergency shutdown, e.t.c and would really like some direction.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Apologies for sounding a bit negative here but if you " have no idea what the operating procedure is", errr how are you going to write about it?

An operating manual needs to impart all the knowledge and understanding the engineering team have about the plant and facilities into writing for perpetuity. It asks helps protect the engineers from future claims about the system not working properly when you can then say, ah, but has it been operated in compliance with the operating manual. Hence it is am important document, normally part written buy the process engineer, part the controls engineer and overall by the system designer.

Hence chapters would be:

Intro
Design data (max flow, presuure, volumes etc)
Start up from various conditions (black start, warm start etc)
Normal operating
Shutdown (planned, ESD etc)

Then you go through the position of valves, which pumps, heaters etc you turn on, what happens as the system warms up and pressures up, usually some sort of return flow or off spec tank. If you don't understand how the system is planned to work then you won't be able to write such a manual.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back