Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Membrane stress using shell elements. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbewley

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2002
GB
I have been doing some work on pressure vessels using Ansys workbench 9.0 and classic Ansys 9.0.

Previously all the analyses I have done where generated from solid elements.

Part of the requirement is to Linearize the stress intensity. This was quite easy, as I simply transfered my analysis from Workbench to classic and then used the path operation command to get membrane or membrane + bending stresses.

Now however the model I am using is created from shell elements.

My question is how do I now get membrane and membrane + bending stresses since I cant now linearise.

Many thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

James - Very easy (even easier than your solid model in fact). The membrane stress you can obtain directly from the centre of the shell (enter "shell,mid" or just "mid" in the command window to switch to that section of the shell and then your usual command to view these stresses). In the same way, the membrane + bending comes directly from the "shell,top" or the "shell,bot" sections of the shell. Make sure you have powergraphics switched off to give you a confirmation -- in the legend -- of the shell section you're viewing ("/graph,full").

Cheers.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back