Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

superthought

Mechanical
May 8, 2000
US
I heard a little about memory wire and want to know more.<br>I hope someone knows something about it. Does it expand or contract. Does it actually use the energy or does it just pass through. I would really appreciate your response.<br><br>thanx<br><br>superthought

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's a related question about memory wire, or nitinol wire. I'm looking for something that is difficult to cut, and extremely flexible. I'm thinking that the nitinol wire meets my flexibility requirements, but I can't find a spec sheet that will tell me whether it will be easy to cut or not.

The application is a security strap that would be a rubber strap with a wire embedded inside. The goal is to prevent cutting with ordinary scissors while it's worn on a wrist or ankle. Flexibility is needed to allow it to wrap to different sizes, and high security is required to prevent removal.

I'd like to find something that meets these requirements and is smaller than 1/16" in dia. Am I asking too much? :)

Did you ever watch a cheesy movie called 'Wedlock'? I think it starred Rutger Hauer. Anyway, if the wearer tried to take off the bracelet (actually, it was a necklace IIRC) it blew up and saved the cost of keeping the criminal alive. An idea to consider...

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

Hi All,

Memory wire is also used in braces (Dental) to correct teeth, pulls them into alignment. You may need wire cutters to cut.

Tofflemire

In fact, NiTi memory in wire or helix type, has already used as a actuator in many fields, such as in toy, gift, medical device. Wish give a visite for to find some applications.

Share the newest technology with anyone for memory alloy materials and its applications.

I don't think it matters much, the OP posted over 5 years ago and never posted a follow up. He must have 'FORGOT' about his 'MEMORY' wire post

Wheels within wheels / In a spiral array
A pattern so grand / And complex
Time after time / We lose sight of the way
Our causes can't see / Their effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back