Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MEng vs the standard 4 yr BS/BE/BTech 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayee1

Materials
Feb 6, 2003
SA
I am currently in process of getting UK based registrations where I am being offered Incorporated Engineer in place of Chartered Engineer because I do not have a 4 year MEng degree. Now my question is first on the registration itself where it seems that IEng is more of a QC related while CEng is more QA related to be very gross on the comparision. Can anyone give an insight on the differences in these two?
In addition I do find by looking at the course structure and curriculums for MEng that it is similar to a 4 year BE/BTech degree acoorded in India..Any thoughts on this?

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668
email: sayee_prasad@yahoo.com
If it moves, train it...if it doesn't move, calibrate it...if it isn't written down, it never happened!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Sayeeprasadr,

The new structure for achieving Chartered status in the UK stems from the requirement to have your academic qualifications accredited by the IMechE. See

and

for further information. It may be that you could have your academic qualifications assessed to see whether they are sufficient. I would refer you to the recent standard published by the UK Engineering Council

where it states on page 12 that the educational requirements of a Chartered Engineer are as follows:

1) An accredited Bachelors degree with honours in engineering and technology plus EITHER an appropriate Masters degree (accredited or approved by a professional engineering institution) OR appropriate further learning to Master's level

2) An accredited integrated MEng degree.

Hope that this helps.

Regards, HM.

No more things should be presumed to exist than are absolutely necessary - William of Occam

Hi Sayeeprasadr,

The important thing you must establish is:-

a) That an Engineering Institute accredits the Course.
(Not all courses are Accredited – A single University Department can have both accredited and non-accredited Engineering courses)
b) Which Institute it is – Ask the University and contact the institute and or the Engineering Council. Also, ask if the university has ever been refused accreditation for that particular course.

Note:- you will not get either IEng or CEng straight from University. You will have to work in industry and be assessed at a later date...even with a Masters. You can obtain a "pack" from either your institute or the Engineering Council.

Also: there are UK Universities that offer CEng accredited BSc/BEng/ BA’s.

IEng was always more of "practical" sort of thing and was more common when everyone did apprenticeships (Before they abolished BTEC in the UK). it was often held as a stepping stone to CEng.

CEng has always been considered the “superior” grade. It can also get you "Eur Ing" the EU’s equivalent. That said, never bad mouth IEng at a job interview: There’s a good chance that your "boss" will have one!

I would suggest that you only consider a CEng accredited course, simply because a CEng is "higher profile".

Aside:
They’ve clearly changed the requirements. It used to be that IEng was achievable with a BTEC HND and 5 years experience; while BSc/BEng/ BA plus 5 years experience (or exams) was enough for CEng. Also, if you had IEng and later got a degree, you could upgrade.

And they say standards at universities are not dropping!

Jalipa

Just to close this thread, I finally got my CEng status by proving that the 4 year BTech course is in fact equivalent to a 4 yr MSc/MEng course by comparing the curriculum and the course contents!!!

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R CEng MWeldI MIOMMM

If it moves, train it...if it doesn't move, calibrate it...if it isn't written down, it never happened!

Thanx Greg

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R CEng MWeldI MIOMMM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back