Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"MENTOR GRAPHICS" software..... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAD2015

Computer
Jan 21, 2006
US
Hi,

Is "MENTOR GRAPHICS " easy to learn?
How long would it take to get it to a good level?
Any training available for it online?

Thanks,

CAD 2015

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Easy compared to what? I would say it's easy for those with 10-20 years of detailed related electrical design.

It handles the following areas:

Electronic Design Automation
Embedded Systems
FPGA Synthesis
Electrical Systems, Cabling, and Harness
Simulation
Emulation
Mechanical Design

3DDave,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I do not have electrical design experience, other than Electrical Routing design training.....

CAD 2015

Electrical routing of what? Circuit boards? Cables and harnesses?

From what I recall Mentor Graphics for those areas required the company to create their own libraries of items and so you would have to, in large part, be trained by the using company for their standards. I don't believe it's a good fit for self-training. Unlike other programs which are usually a substitute for drafting, this is an extension of existing design experience - CAE rather than CAD.

It appears they have two separate programs for that - one designed especially for vehicles and the other one general purpose. I expect they operate much differently from each other as they went on a buying spree.

I saw that they have in their mechanical portfolio a program called CADRA which was from Adra Systems and used a copy of the interface for some much more expensive software, CADAM; they even had a custom keyboard for their dedicated workstation that included directly typed symbols of all kinds. See if you are interested. is a pretty thorough website for the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back