Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MEP Seismic Calcs require structural engineer stamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuuvox000

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2019
US
We have been doing seismic calcs for our HVAC equipment, ductwork and piping for a few years now and it has been stamped by a PE but not a structural PE. Does this need to be stamped by a structural PE? I don't see anything in the code stating this but a city official is under the impression. We are currently using the methods shown is ASCE 7-16.
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm in a State that allows me to stamp anything as long as I'm competent (whatever that means). But in some states you need to have take the Structural exam to do structural.

Often the license requirement says you need to be competent. But in some states they require to be exactly what you stamp. So best to ask your State licensing board or ask JHA.

Imagine that thing collapses, you get sued, and you have to explain to the jury and the licensing board why you decided you are qualified to do that? If you have a good answer for that case, you are good to go. if not, I wouldn't stamp it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back