Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merox Unit Problems? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritz786

Petroleum
Jun 22, 2008
US
Hi,
I know many of the refineries have the UOP merox unit and its been there for a long time. I just wanted to know if there are any particular problems that are you are having with those units( design issues, unable to reach spec, space contsraints). Any info would be appreciated? We are deciding on that unit and would like to hear users feedback on the unit.

Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never had any major problems with Merox for LPG extraction. They're simple, mature, and relatively well-behaved as far as refinery process units go. There's not a whole lot of knobs to turn to keep a Merox unit humming along. Keeping the heavier hydrocarbon out of an LPG extraction unit has proven to be important in terms of stabilizing the load. If you go with Merox, sure to design a proper system for handling your spent caustic that's saturated with LPG.

pritz786:

I agree completely with Jason5000. The Merox processes have been around for decades and they certainly work quite well.

You might want to read this article on the online Citizendium:
It include some schematic flow diagrams and process descriptions.

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

pritz786, I have worked on fixed bed and liquid-liquid sweetening and extraction meroxes. In general they have very few problems if the basic instructions are followed.

However, because they are low severity operations, they are more succeptible to feedstock issues. The one that comes to mind is a Kero merox where we would occasionally failed on wism, colour or silver corrosion.

More recently meroxes are specifically designed for lower or no caustic consumption. I have never worked or designed one, but people seem to have mixed feelings about them.

As a machinery engineer, I have experienced a few problems associated with Merox. Specifically, it can be hard on the pumps. The original injection pumps in our unit were air driven piston pumps that had many failures because of the abrasive nature of the product. We converted to oil actuated diaphragm pumps and have had no major problems since then. I apologize for my ignorance about the processes involved. But we have also seen seal problems in our Dimersol pumps that I am told are related to the carry-over of Merox in the process. Once again, the abrasive nature of the product was hard on the mechanical seals. I don't know if Merox carryover in other process streams is normal. But, be aware, that anywhere the Merox ends up, it can have an affect on the reliability of pumps.

Johnny Pellin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back