Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mesh and results lost or flagged as not current too easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrNinjaman

Mechanical
May 9, 2006
US
I'm running SolidWorks 2011 SP 4.0. When I mesh and solve solid assembly static studies, which is most of what I do with Simulation, the mesh and results are extremely sensitive to any change to the model. Rebuilding the model will result in a non-current mesh and results. Switching to an exploded view will flag the mesh. Hiding a part will flag the mesh. The flag doesn't prevent me from reviewing the results, but it does mean that if I need to make a change to a boundary condition or run a different study, I have to re-mesh as well as solve. For some models this is a significant amount of additional time, the more so because the mesher is a single core process, while the solver makes use of all the cores on the machine.
Then there is the issue with doing a "save as" operation. Whether I choose "copy results" or not, when I save an assembly and all of its components with new file names it invariably takes the results file with it. This means that when I go back to look at the old assembly, the results database is gone and it needs to be re-meshed and solved if I want to look at the results again.

Does anyone else have these problems? Would doing a "save as copy" or "pack and go" allow me to keep the results file attached to the original assembly?

I generally like SWSim as a design tool. It's integration with the 3D modeler makes it very fast for development work, but these problems are serious disadvantages, and most of them seem to have appeared or gotten worse with the introduction of the new GUI. I'm hoping that talking about this stuff in a public forum will spur Dassault to fix this stuff before they get started on the new batch of bugs.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back