Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mesh Error with model with small holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rluuv

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2021
US
Hi all. I will precursor this by saying I am rather new to FEA and self taught for my research projects.

This is probably a dumb question but I am having troubles meshing one of my asymmetrical models on ABAQUS. I've attached a photo for reference. I've tried both changing the seed sizes and partitioning but I keep receiving the error that it won't mesh.
1utvzw2k6cy51_tkd6jw.png

For partitioning, I have tried cutting the holes in half as the model is symmetrical along the z direction and also partitioning the model along the y direction. Still no luck -- when I try to mesh it I get a ton of poor or failed elements warnings and/or by changing seed size some sizes won't even attempt to mesh. Nonetheless, when I try to run the job (simple compression) the job fails unsurprisingly.
Screen_Shot_2021-01-30_at_12.41.40_PM_k0onei.png

Screen_Shot_2021-01-30_at_12.28.54_PM_idqdqc.png

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Add partitions in the XY plane too and try with different meshing technique/algorithm. Or, if you don’t need to use hexa mesh, switch the shape of elements to tetra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back