Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mesh/net/grill for sorting recyclables from high dense/moist MSW in East Africa 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh87

Civil/Environmental
May 5, 2015
Hello,

I am attempting to design and construct a mesh/net/grill to assist waste pickers in East Africa to more efficiently extract recyclables from municipal solid waste. The net would be affixed to a structure so it would hang 1m off of the ground, waste would then be poured/thrown on/through the net from at least 2m off of the ground/1m above the net. The net would in practice 'catch' larger items (e.g. plastic, glass bottles) and sift dirt/food/organics/sand/etc. A few questions:

1. What would the optimal material design of the net be? What material would work best? At the moment, we would like to use thick steel bars (e.g. like a grill) as its locally available and very durable.

2. What would the optimal spacing be between bars/mesh/nets to ensure the average bottle is 'caught' but that dirt and organics fall through.

3. Is there any potential to line the net with a magnetic element to catch metals in the net?

Any questions, comments, advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need a way to ensure tha large fraction falls of the net. I don't see this in your idea. I think you mean to do it batch wise? Pour trash, shake net, empty net, repeat? I read your question so that you have very little cash, and are looking for a solution operated by a handful people at most?

1) If I were to design such a system (with very little cash), I'd build a long wooden frame with steel bars along the lenght. The frame is positioned with a slant. MSW gets put onto the frame. You shake the frame. the underfraction falls through the bars, the overfraction 'slides' down along the bars. You may need some assistance (a motor) to shake the sieve. This is basically a poor mans lamella sieve.

2)Spacing is (for me) impossible to know, maybe 1-3 cm. Try, adjust, try again.

3) I'd build a magent system separately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back