Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mesh settings suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHartman

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2010
US
Hi all,

I've got a fairly simple model and I want to do a static deflection measurement to compare the current design to a re-design. The part is a sheet metal support which is one "wall" in a 4-sided, welded structure. The thickness is 1.52 mm, and it's overall ~200 mm wide and 70 mm tall. A 22.24 N load is applied downward, equally distributed between 2 bolt holes.

I assume that the side flanges are fixed, the top flange is fixed in Z (it can only move in the plane of the flange because of what it's connected to in real life), and I've clipped the bottom portion which stays mostly undeformed and unaffected in a previous, full sized analysis. I've de-featured everything that I think is unimportant and set some AutoGEM controls which seem to give a reasonable mesh:

-Max element size = 4
-Isolate reentrant corners less than 120 degrees
-Edge length/curvature ratio = 1
-20 nodes per edge for bolt holes where load is applied

I've uploaded all the files associated with it (not sure which one will contain the mesh). Can anyone take a quick look at it and tell me if the mesh is pretty solid (it seems good to me...), and make any suggestions on improvements to the AutoGEM controls?

Thanks in advance!

-Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back