Meshing: How to force seeded edges? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfgsdfgfd

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2015
US
Hi,

I'm trying to mesh a cylinder in Abaqus 6.14, where (1.) one half should have a finer mesh than the other half and (2.) the outside should have a different mesh than the inside. I created two partitions for that: (1.) I split the part in half and (2.) I create an inner cylinder partition. That yields the two following problems:

1. When I seed the circular edge on one side, it automatically seeds the same edge on the other side of the cylinder with the same size.
2. The seed on the inner cylinder is ignored and fitted to match the elements of the outer cylinder.

It pretty much comes down to the questions
1. How can I independently mesh each edge?
and
2. How can I force Abaqus to stick to the dimensions of the seed?

Thanks so very much for your help!

abc_mrs78f.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks very much. I've been playing around with the Sweep function. To my understanding, this function is more used to reach the mesh I demonstrated above, rather than the one I anticipate? Maybe I'm wrong, would you mind clarifying how you would proceed exactly -- or what settings you would use?
The most obvious problem in the image is, that the seed on the intermediate radius is validated. I want this kind of random-looking mesh of the inner cylinder also on the outer cylinder; which would enforce to stick to the seeds.

I think I wasn't fully clear. When you look at my image, I only have one seed on the smaller, inner diameter/edge. However, the mesh doesn't stick to this seed, as it sweeps the mesh from the outside to the inside. The element size is much smaller than the seed size. I don't need that regularity, I rather have it stick to the seed.

In 6.14 you have options in the Local Seed dialog to add constraints.
Before 6.14 it was a button below the viewport when creating local seeds.

Hi,
In the dialogue box where you choose if the mesh shall be tet, hex dominated or hex there are options for the hex:
1. structured
2. sweep
3. maybe-some-other option

If you select option 2 (sweep), you can change it to advancing front (I guess that is what you want).

Let me know if I answered your question (or not). :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back