Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meshing Pressure Vessel - Tips Needed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorpbr

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2014
DK
Hi,

I`m trying to mesh a simple pressure vessel as shown in the attached picture.

Ideally I`m looking for quad meshing and to control the number of elements through thickness. I`m not very familiar with the advanced functions yet and the ones I tried resulted on errors.

Could anyone with expertise on this matter point me the right path?

PS: I know I could do a 2d axisymmetric analysis for this, but I plan on increasing the geometry complexity, so I`d need a 3D analysis.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=30158ef6-1b8d-4efd-addf-82f7c103382b&file=Foto.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First you need to slice your model in quarter or half segments to have through thickness element control. You have to force method probably Multizone on the bodies with all quad option.

For info on meshing check this Link and this Link.

Thank you NRP99. I sliced my body on quarter segments and was able to mesh the cylindrical part the way I wanted.

Having some trouble on meshing the hemispherical part though. I`ve seen images where people are able to mesh it hex dominant, but I getting errors when trying to do it.

Hi

With multi zone meshing (method) and by using a proximity mesh for the global size function (instead of adaptive), a HEX dominant mesh (with possible control on the number of elements you want to have through the thickness - defaults to 3) can be generated.
For more information on this see:

Another way to control the elements through the thickness, is by defining Mesh sizing option specifying the number of divisions say along the four through thickness edges of the two cylinders.
Then no need to set the global size function to proximity, just use adaptive. So in this case one needs both a multi zone mesh for all bodies and mesh sizing on the 4 edges.

These two methods will work if you have a multi body part, consisting of e.g., two end caps, and two cylinder parts.

Hope this helps - Erik

Hi,

I managed to get my mesh done using your tips. However, when I imprinted some faces on my cylindrical body the multizone started to give me errors, but I managed to overcome it by doing nothing (i.e. deleting the multizone) and a structured mesh was created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back