Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meshing

Status
Not open for further replies.

legersalazar

Aerospace
Dec 1, 2009
CA
When meshing sometimes I get two tri elements (a quad split in two) where I could have easily a quad.

Does someone knows of a way to avoid this?

Thank you,

W

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

maybe it'd be a too highly warped quad ? or are the triangles not adjacent ?

the surface mesher doesn't seem to minimise the number of quads; it has a preference for quads (if you tell it to).

In some parts of my mesh quads are split into tri for some reason. I deleted the tris and created the quads manually but I'd like to know if there is a way to set up the mesher in order to avoid this from happening.

When meshing a surface, press the "More Options" button in the "Automesh Surfaces" dialog box. In hear, there's a parameter for meshing called "Cut Quads with Angle Deviations Above", set to 60.0. This will tell FEMAP to split any quads who have a corner angle less than 30 or greater than 150 degrees, if you turn this up, 70.0, 80.0 etc. less quads will be split. They'll be pretty skewed, but they will still be quads. The 60 is deviation from the ideal corner agle of 90.

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back