Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Metal Deck Diaphragm Shear Strength Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Its the spacing of the deck supports. 5'-0". This is independent of load application direction. Basically you have fasteners along each of those supports, thats whats giving your diaphragm strength.

So for a diaphragm 3'x80' in plan dimensions, where the deck spans the 3': Would you use 3' joist span in the tables for calculating the diaphragm shear strength?

Sounds like a theoretical diaphragm... Yes, the 3 ft would be the span of the deck.

I don't have the code section memorized, but you should maintain some sort of acceptable aspect ratio on the diaphragm. 3'x80' is going to have some deflection issues.

Now you mention 3' joist spacing. Which tables are you using because the 'diaphragm shear strength' tables don't have joist spacing as the criteria. At least the tables that I have don't.

The key to understanding this is to recognize that the members supporting the deck need to restrain a shear buckling mode of failure as shown below. Every support, with appropriate fastening, reduces the length of the potential buckling wave and, therefore, increases capacity with respect to shear buckling. Translating that to your specific questions:

OP said:
Would it be the deck span spacing (5'-0" in my example image) or 30' in my example image?

The 5' deck span.

OP said:
So for a diaphragm 3'x80' in plan dimensions, where the deck spans the 3': Would you use 3' joist span in the tables for calculating the diaphragm shear strength?

Yup.

Note that:

1) By the book, corrugated deck cannot resist axial loads perpendicular to the flutes that would fold it up accordion style. You have to distribute those loads out to discrete diaphragm framing members somehow.

2) You can deliver axial loads to the deck parallel to the flutes. And folks often do. This probably does create some degree of interaction between axial load buckling and shear buckling but, to my knowledge, that is not commonly considered and we don't have a robust means of checking it.

As with most things in structural engineering... one does what one can.

c01_aeujbh.jpg

ChorasDen said:
Kootk, would you be willing to share the source for those photos? Appears like it could be an interesting read.

lexpatrie said:
KootK can you tell me where you got those photos?

Sorry for the delay. Yeah, that was just some GoogleFu to find some photos that looked like what I had in mind. I know, not very satisfying.

I do have one, excellent resource that has similar photos directly from metal deck diaphragm testing. That resource is shown below. I picked it up because I'd long wanted a Ninja level treatise on some of the more nuanced aspects of diaphragm design. Treatment of pitched diaphragms etc. And there just doesn't seem to be much out in the wild other than the basic, supplier literature. The book was referenced in an SDI webinar that I attended. It was not a cheap thing for me to get my paws on up here in Canada.

C01_bdqjrt.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back