Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metal Dowel pin MFR

Status
Not open for further replies.

erabinowitz3

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2008
US
Hello,

I'm trying to help source a dowel pin...looking at 1/8", aprox 1" long...MSC, even at volume is about 7 times larger then budgeted...

Does anyone know the names of some well known dowel pin mfrs? our volume is high enough to talk directly, and not through a distributor.

Thanks...sorry if i posted in the wrong forum.

Ethan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dinjin.

I've been to Thomas net...problem is there are too many suppliers listed, without enough capabilities to narrow them down appropriately...

Companies listed in metal dowels, that only have that in the description, don't specialize in dowels, or only make a certain type.

Out of 10 metal dowel pin vendors, 10 out of 10 have no bided due to volume...and these are basic 1/8" x 1" dowel pins....

erabinowitz,

Have you checked with Dowel-Pin as I don't think they will be intimidated by quantity. I know an order for 10,000 presented no problem for them.

If per chance the quanity is too great you might give Bagshaw a call. I know quanity will not be a problem with them. The handled orders of 500,000+ for us.

Can you use a dowel pin that is a little shorter or longer ? Sometimes a little difference in length will produce an unexpected difference in price.

I pasted two prices below from two distributors, but if you need them 7 times cheaper, that's anywhere from 2 cents to less than 1 cent per dowel. I have also pasted contact info for some dowel manufacturers you could contact direct, at the bottom of the post.

Dowel pins are generally cost effective or what they do. I think it's just a matter of finding a manufacturer that wants or needs your business and then work with them to get the price as low as possible, but I have no idea if it will be 1 or 2 cents per dowel.

What if you purchased some hardened bearing shafting in long lengths and cut it down to 1" long sections ? Other than that I'm not sure what might be cheaper than a dowel, unless you can replace the dowel with a different method.

Here is the cheapest I found at Order in Multiples of 100
Price: $11.71 per 100
In stock: 37349
Mfr: Value
Mfr #: 241100P

12 cents per dowel from MSC, but I'm not sure what specs they meet.

The dowel listed directly below is from which is where I usually get them. Part # 98381A475 (14 cents each, meets ASME B18.8.2)

$14.14 per Pack of 100
Material Type Steel
Finish Plain
Steel Type Hardened Steel
Pin Type Dowel Pins
Dowel Pin Type Standard
System of Measurement Inch
Diameter 1/8"
Overall Length 1"
Length Tolerance ±.01"
Suggested Hole Size .1245" to .1250"
Double Shear Strength 3,200 lbs.
Rockwell Hardness C50
Specifications Met American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)Note Actual diameter is +.0002" over the nominal diameter with a tolerance of ±.0001".
ASME Specification ASME B18.8.2

I sometimes use as well. You could try to find out who supplies the distributors and talk to the manufactures direct.

I think Holo Krome supplies Reid, and I have seen "socket source" on some dowel boxes from Mcmaster, along with "ITW BEE LEITZKE" from Iron Ridge WI 53035...

ITW BEE LEITZKE

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back