Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metal on Metal Adhesive; what / where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toygasm4u

Electrical
May 17, 2006
US
Hello, I'm typically in the electrical forums so bear with me and feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong spot.;-)

I want to bond one face of a piece of 3/8" aluminum angle to another piece of black anodized aluminum plate. Mechanical fasteners are not my first choice, so I'm seeking an adhesive for the job.

I'm assuming that I'll have to remove the anodizing and any clear coating with a light sanding prior to bonding. This joint will be holding mostly in sheer, with little concern for tensile strength.

I would also prefer if the adhesive had a low clamping time, and a medium viscosity? Not sure how to ask that question; I don't want the adhesive to run away from the joint, but I don't want it to be so thick that it causes a deformation in the piece during clamping. So I guess it needs to be pretty fluid. I've got some PC-7 epoxy that I use for just about everything around the house but I know that making it work for this little project is going to be less than ideal.

What would you guys recommend? I've seen a glue used in the assembly of speaker drivers (magnet bonding to basket) that didn't require UV to cure or anything like that, and it's rock solid. I'm thinking I'm looking for an automotive or aero adhesive but don't know what to try.

Thanks y'all,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

toygasm4u
Another Manufacturer of epoxy is Dexter Hysol.
They make a series of toughened epoxies.
While they do not have the shear strength of some epoxies, they do have a higher peel strength, which can be important if you get a pull straight up on your part.
check out EA 9309 NA, this stuff will re bend two sheets of aluminum being pulled apart.

B.E.

and Bulldog PL Premium... on numerous occasions I've used it to glue metal straps to wood... also works metal to metal.

Dik

I like some of the super glues - those that are somewhat thick and come with an accelaretor. Dries in aout 5 seconds. Glue one side - accelaretor on other side - press together and its done. You don't get a second chance!!! Very strong. Hobby Poxy comes to mid available at most hobby shops.

You have to define the loads before anything else. Epoxy can be very strong and stiff. Stiff can be good or bad. 3M's VHB adhesive tape may be the best thing for you. The bond is almost instant and will comply with variable gap. No clamping required.

I am astounded that none of the postings so far have mentioned surface preparation. The best adhesive and the best joint designs will always fail eventually unless the surface is correctly prepared. Don't be fooled by "Adhesive X is better than adhesive Y" because all that will change is the colour of the disbond surface.

I strongly recommend that you Google DOT/FAA/AR – TN06/07, Apr 2007. This is a document titled Best Practice in Adhesive Bonded Structures and Repairs. It explains the mechanisms involved in forming durable adhesive bonds and outlines the basic steps involved. Once you digest that, then select adhesive X or Y.

Failing that contact me at admin at adhesionassociates dot com.

Regards

blakmax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back