Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Metal roof Q... Standing seam vs diamond rib?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackaustin

Materials
Jul 12, 2021
ES
I can't get any straight answers from builders, roofers, or suppliers. Can it be true, that the more money you have the more expensive the roofing you get- even if they all are guaranteed for the same 40 years??

Is one quieter in storms? (I have NO attic, but will be well insulated).

Standing seam has hidden fasteners, being more expensive and ugly IMO.
The diamond rib is basic corrugated roofing and exposed fasteners.

I am completely clueless about what to get here. I will be here long-term.
The standing seam is supposed to be great stuff, but yes it looks to me very commercial and takes away from the farmhouse style in my eyes. (maybe it's worth it??)

Would love to hear your ideas, particularly if you've just gone through this yourself.

Yes, steel is the way for me, excellent snow shedding capabilities are priceless.

Is one

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Much depends on what you what your roof to look like.

Imitation shake -- cementitious shaped like cedar shake, but most companies in this had failed along the way due to material durability issues, discoloration BIG TIME

Cement tile -- Eagle Lite, but there is ONE, Cedar Lite that looks kind of like cedar shake and is decent; we put that on our last house, usual negatives of cement tiles, cracking, heavy on the roof

Aluminum shake -- machine formed aluminum shingles that look like cedar shake, but usually looks extremely regular. Should be installed with the styrofoam underlayer so that you can walk on it. Haven't really noticed any particular noise issues, 20 years, no color changes, no cracking. It's hypothetically walkable; we didn't get the styrofoam, and quite a few shingles are a bit crunched from people with work boots tromping around on it.

Steel shingle -- variety of attempts to mimic cedar shake, but the steel seems to be too thick to make sharp corners, so it just looks corrugated

Asphalt shingle -- there are multilayer thicker shingles that look tolerable, but it's still asphalt shingle with its negative connotations

Resin composite shingle/tile -- all attempt to mimic cedar shake, but I've only seen a few roofs with them and there were/are potato chipping issues that ruin the aesthetic; this is all from 20 years ago, so I don't even know if any of those are still around.

Bottom line, I picked aluminum shake and Cedar Lite, both were indeed on the higher end in terms of cost. Didn't look at porcelain tile, mainly because they didn't fit either house's aesthetic and look

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

If you don't want the look of standing seam roofing, but want steel roofing, there are several profiles. Your "diamond rib", is what I call trimdek. But corrugated roofing is different, just a series of sine waves. Both are fastened through the crown of the roofing to provide the best watertightness. And they must be installed on steeper slopes than standing seam to shed water. But that is probably not a concern if you are in snow country. Regular old corrugated may best match your rustic style. Noise? I doubt there is much difference.

You will likely be replacing the fasteners in the corrugated roof 20 years from now. I would use standing seam if money is not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back