Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metal Screw to Attach 3/8" Steel Plate to 3" Wood Tread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXEng-USA

Structural
Sep 29, 2016
US
I am designing a "floating" staircase which utilizes a 3" solid wood tread on top of a 3/8" steel plate. The client would like to use a flat head self-drilling or self-piercing metal screw that they would attach from the bottom.

I have only been able to find screws that are certified for attachment of wood to steel when the head of the screw is in contact with the wood.

Is anyone familiar with a screw that is certified for the condition noted above?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems like predrilling would be a lot easier/faster to install. On a side note, how are you guys defending 3/8" steel plates? With a central stringer we have always used 1/2" min at treads and 3/4" at landings.

I would tell the client that his idea is silly...maybe not in those words. You need a wood screw, and that won't drill through 3/8" steel.

Tek5 is the only self drilling fastener for 3/8" that I know of, but I know of no load capacities in wood. They are likely more than than adequate; just use a aimilar sized screw for load capacities. It's silly not to pre-drill the holes.

Dik

dlk said:
for an 1/8" plate use Tek3's... but, still not a good solution.
Teks don't work well going into wood. I think the debris coming off the drill point fouls ups the threads.
I have tried it personally on a project.

XR... as I noted in the Tek5 comment... I have no idea of what the capacity is in wood... they're not meant for it... but, they are the only fasteners that I know of that will self drill thick material... as I noted... silly idea... right out of Monty Python Tech...

Dik

Dik:
Silly ideas and details (dare say, stupid ideas and details) haven’t stopped a lot of Archs., clients, owners, and many engineers too, from doing really dumb things. Remember, most of the former aren’t engineers and too many of the latter aren’t either. They have a computer program, and that’s about all, and that hardly makes them thinking or knowledgeable engineers on any given problem. The client probably got suckered into buying a box of those screws, they didn’t work too good for the first project, so now he wants to use them up. Flat headed screws? Are they self counter sinking too? Drill and countersink the damn plates. A fab shop/machine shop will drill and countersink the holes faster than the time wasted debating here. Then use real wood screws that you can count on. It will cost the client something but nowhere near the time wasted farting around with his original idea, on the job site.

I wouldn't bother with countersinking the screws into the steel. Flat head screws will be under the tread, so why would they be objectionable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back