Metal STUD Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert_spider

Structural
Apr 7, 2023
IE
Hi All,
I am finding information on this forum quite handy but i need a human guidance regarding STUD frame work design
I found a person name KootK, but i am unable to directly message him.
Is there any one who can look at my stud frame work design and guide me it is an emergency situation at my end and I am under tremendous mental stress and looking for some help a guidance, who can look at my design and calculation and check everything is OK.
A google meet or teams meet will be helpful.
I have a stud frame wall which holds the terracota cladding laterally restraint while all the dead load is transferred to the concrete slab.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want human guidance then my consulting rates for a design review are $250USD paid in advance .

(I say this with no expected outcome. This forum for engineering peers to discuss matters with engineering peers.)

I am ready to pay to as the work has made me or brought me to end my life if that is the price i have to pay to save it i am ready to that as well but can i trust that will be not scam

First things first, please realize that there are very few real emergencies in this profession. And nothing is worth what you're suggesting. A lost job can be replaced. An upset client will get over it or, if they don't, there will be more clients.

Where is your boss? Why can't they assist with the review?

This site is set up to be anonymous by design with no real way to contact people directly. We generally don't assist each other in the way you're suggesting, but rather discuss general topics or very specific questions. So if there is a particular aspect of stuff design you're struggling with, post it and we can discuss it.

Thank you for such a positive reply,
First of all english is not my native language.
I am the only engineer working in the company.
I have only looked at previous calculation report for sfs and did the same thing it is an SFS panel which will be carrying laterally supported terracota.
Currently the SFS frame was in raw state in panel by panel format, there was no terracota yet and it was in temporary state with 2,2 Concrete screws and yet the screw failed from top and the panel fell to the ground.
Now i am having hallucinations that everythign is wrong my complete anaylsis is not correct it is just a pile of worries, I am getting or panicking.
I am attaching a F.E.M model screen shot for the SFS panel how does it look like.

Currently it has cement board and insulation installed.
in Future it will be carryign terracota and terracota fins on its sides.
I am just looking for a helping hand which can go through my calculation with me like on google meet or something:

Screenshot_2024-07-17_113102_liacc0.png

Looks like you're in Ireland. I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help - i have no familiarity with the standards over there. What sort of company is this that you came to be the only engineer?

You should seek out a firm that can provide this service. It won't be free, but it is necessary to make sure you're not practicing outside you're area of experience.

I would look to your professional association for a mentor that can help. They may not have a list of names, but can probably give you a few leads. It seems you may need a more long term solution than a random person from ETips.

A sketch showing the bearing, and framing would be better than a screenshot from the model. Something like what you will give the trade to use in the field. Sketches to illustrate your problem are extremely important.

Relax, this does not seem outlandishly wrong from a general perspective.

XR used to do a ton of this design in North America years ago. The naming used here is very different, so you would need to show a sketch of the profile.

I have done a lot of cold formed steel framing design, and here are my comments:

Stud spacing 468 mm = 18.4", seems reasonable.

Stud height 3800 mm = 12'-6", seems reasonable.

Stud gauge 1.5 mm = 16 GA, seems reasonable.

Bridging provided at 1391 mm = 4'-6", seems reasonable.

SFS appears to be a proprietary panel and facade system - am I getting that right? If so, contact the manufacturer to discuss what happened. It appears to be a simple installation error by the contractor.

I hope this gives you some peace of mind!

DaveAtkins

DaveAtkins said:
I have done a lot of cold formed steel framing design, and here are my comments:

Stud spacing 468 mm = 18.4", seems reasonable.

Stud height 3800 mm = 12'-6", seems reasonable.

Stud gauge 1.5 mm = 16 GA, seems reasonable.

Bridging provided at 1391 mm = 4'-6", seems reasonable.

I agree with Dave, if anything that stud assembly could probably even been 18ga and been fine, which supports that it was more likely an installation error.

Things happen, mistakes happen. Obviously the goal is to not make mistakes but as long as you learn from them and understand what was wrong initially, you'll be better in the future for it.

EngDM said:
if anything that stud assembly could probably even been 18ga and been fine

I worked at a place several years ago and a couple of our guys specialized in terracotta exteriors, rainscreens, etc. Occasionally they would review some of the rest of the office's building designs (office towers, hospitals, hotels, etc) and they would always hound us for using anything thinner than 16ga CFS studs. Specifically concerning the attachment of the terracotta brackets through the sheathing/substrate and into the studs. Lighter than 16ga they'd have problems with bearing and pullout I believe. Terracotta is pretty heavy stuff.

I don't think they ever did anything international though, OP.

Robert Spider said:
I found a person name KootK, but i am unable to directly message him.

You can find my email address via a pretty simple riddle here if you wish: Link. Within reason, I'd be happy to help, free of charge.

@daveatkins you are on point, The screw which was installed had bad strentgh or you can say was not manufactored according to its said strentgh.
now Hilti Concrete expansion anchors will be used.
Regardless of this
this sfs will provide lateral wind supports to installed terracota which will be dead loaed to the concrete slab (floor by floor).
This terracota has side fins which will are planned to be dead loaded floor to floo.
the problem is, i had made an F.E.M model of that fin and the model providing results everything is OK but judgment is saying no these are wrong results
my only worry is what if we have to transfer dead load of fins to sfs (which is not planned right now)
koot k or anyone can please have an online meeting with me
i have just created an email address

which is spiderrobertATgmaildotcom
I am looking forward if some angel can help on weekend and we can discuss

I do not understand why you are trying to design terracotta cladding. That is a cladding material which engineers do not typically design. The steel stud framing backup, yes, but not the cladding pieces. You say these terracotta pieces are stacked up, and tied back to the stud framing, am I understanding correctly? You would not use concrete screws for that, you would use self tapping screws.

We are not seeing a clear picture here. Please post a drawing or photo of the terracotta cladding piece with fins.

DaveAtkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back