Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

metal stud plywood sheathing shearwall - blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyyy

Structural
Jun 22, 2006
US
I have a light gauge metal stud shear wall with plywood sheathing. The edge is blocked. My question is about the edge blocking. What is the typical detail or construction method for the blocking? I understand a track, or 2x wood can all be used as blocking. But I'd like know the common or typical way for this detail.

Your help is truly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if there is a single "typical" way of constructing this detail. I prefer a length of stud or track between each pair of studs, connected with light gauge clip angles and screws.

DaveAtkins

There was one supplier I came across that provided light gauge blocking (for the typical stud spacings 12", 16" and 24") that included the clip angles for screwing. I don't remember who it was though.

It's also called bridging. A few manufacturers now have both bridging and blocking for metal studs that is very easy to install.

A typical detail is to use pieces of track between the studs, where the web is bend up and screwed into the web of the studs while the flanges go straight and are screwed into the flanges of the studs. Sorry I don't have any details atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back